Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
A fresh new taste in the world of gaming. The Dpad provides gaming news, previews, reviews and opinions. For Gamers By Gamers.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

ModNation Racers-Preview


At E3 last year Sony showed us all their new racing game ModNaion Racers. Now, before I go on let me say that as a life long gamer the only racing games I have ever owned are Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart on Wii (and Crus'n USA on N64 but I was a kid and just liked to see the girls in bikini's at the end of the races). The only game I actually bought myself was Mario Kart on Wii (big waste of money). My wonderful mother bout me the other games to help keep me obese as a child. So as you can see I'm a touch critic of the racing genre in the video game industry. Games such as Need For Speed, Gran Turismo and SPLIT SECOND (LOL) just dont appeal to me. I have a car, I drive it everyday. Sure I don't go 210 miles down a street and crash into a semi, but I don't want to and I sure as hell don't want to in a video game either. I never and still to this day don't understand how racing games can even be considered "fun." They just get old to me. Give me a gun and objective and something to save from an evil force and I'm in there like swimwear.

That being said as I and fellow blogger Justin Weakley watched E3 09 and saw ModNation I thought to myself, this game looks like it has potential. ModNation features Sony's slogan "Play, Create and Share" (the same slogan from LittleBigPlanet) for users to create their own content and share it with the online world. ModNation is similar to other racing games. You can drift, use turbo boost and weapons such as lightning (original Sony) and missiles. But what's different about this racing game is like it's fellow Sony title LBP it allows users to design their own characters, vehicles and even race tracks. Sounds cool right? I think so too. Sony lets players design everything in complete detail so everything about your racer (etc) is completely unique. You can go into deep detail when creating your track (as seen in this demonstration at E3). For example, your racer has over 315 types of mouths and 260 types of eyes that can be used. I'm most excited for the ability to create your own course. Me being a bit of a dick in online games, I'm looking forward to creating the hardest and most annoying track on the PSN. ModNation is set to be released on May 25th.

This game has the potential to be a buy for me and hopefully change my viewpoint on racing games in general. I'm excited to get to play it. Check back here in a few weeks for the full written review.
Sony's "poster man" Kevin Butler in this HILARIOUS ModNation Racers Commercial
-KM

No comments:

Post a Comment